I didn’t realize how labor intensive putting on a roof was going to be. I probably should have posted on it in stages but now it’s complete so here’s the whole process.
It occurred to me that I ought to put a ceiling over the entryway before I put the roof on. Here’s what that looks like:
Then I installed the loft. I’d worked the supports for the joists into the wall framing already so all I had to do was attach those and then attach some OSB over the top:
Here’s the entryway ceiling from the top along with the hurricane clips to give the rafters extra support. You typically install the clips on the inside of the wall but with the pitch of the roof that wouldn’t have worked.
I used metal clips for all the major joints in the roof. I measured it all out and attached the clips before assembling it up on the house:
Here’s me attaching the first two rafters to give the ridge support. They were held in place with the hurricane clips until the ridge was attached:
Once the supports were ready, I moved the ridge up onto the loft and entryway ceiling before lifting it into place:
And the ridge attached:
I installed a cat walk between the loft and entryway ceiling so I could get back and forth. I ended up needed to use two of those 2x4s so now it’s just 2 wide under the completed roof:
A book on framing let me know I needed to add blocking here. I’ll go back and fill in with some spray foam later to fill in the cracks and keep the drafts out. This blocking was screwed in on one side and attached with that metal tie there on the other:
Here we are with all the rafters and the fascia installed. Let me tell you, clamps really saved my life on some of these steps. Below you can see what I think is called the end gable or something. That was attached to the fascia and ridge to give an overhang appearance and keep rain from falling directly down the siding.
I must have been having a bad day or something because I had to measure and cut 3 different sets of those. I’d measure and cut but when I got it up there, it just didn’t fit the way I’d measured for some reason.
I sawed and chiseled out a space to attach some 2x4s to the end to make sure those gable ends aren’t coming off:
Here’s one of those steps that required clamps since I’m doing this alone. These blocks were to hold the OSB up on the roof once I pulled it up and put it into place:
This was how I lifted all the OSB onto the roof. This piece was fine but the 4×8 sheets were killer especially trying to move them around the protruding clamps. One book recommended this c-clamp method but then dragging it up the ladder behind you. That seems like it would have been harder though. I did that with the smaller, lighter roof panels and can’t imagine doing that with the OSB.
What I did do that made this part easier was to tie knots in the rope so I could pull a distance and worry less about my grip slipping. That made a huge difference. Probably using a bigger rope would have made it easier too.
Once I started getting to the pieces at the top, I had to climb out onto the roof to attach it. Here’s the system I used for that and the rest of the roofing work. It was a climbing harness and strap that I looped through a carabiner a couple of times. I attached the strap to the metal frame of the trailer on the opposite side.
I cut the roofing felt ahead of time and stapled and unrolled it a little bit at a time while keeping the roll on one leg of the ladder:
And here’s the completed metal roof. I chose white for the heat reflection. I’ll go back and paint the screws white to match later. I’m excited though that I shouldn’t have to climb back up on top of the roof.
If I had it to do over again, I probably would have made the walls higher and the roof pitch lower. That will take more planning but climbing on the roof would be easier and that would leave more head space in the loft inside. This higher pitch is okay though because any rain or snow (or frisbees for that matter) won’t stay up there as long.